Hydrogen Chloride Dalal Simplified ICSE Chemistry Class-10
Study of Compound
State the composition of aqua regia. State which component is the oxidising agent in aqua regia.
Convert hydrochloric acid to nascent chlorine.
State why aqua regia dissolves gold, which is insoluble in all other acids.
In aqua regia (a mixture of 1 part cone. HNO3 and 3 parts cone. HCl by volume), nitric acid oxidises hydrochloric acid to give nascent chlorine. This nascent chlorine is very reactive. It reacts with gold to give gold (III) chloride, which is soluble in water.
Give three tests for hydrochloric acid. Convert silver nitrate to a soluble salt of silver using hydrochloric acid and an alkali.
- If glass rod dipped in ammonia soln. (NH4OH) brought near vapours of hydrochloric acid.
Dense white fumes of – ammonium chloride are formed.
- Addition of silver nitrate soln. to dil. HCl (acidified with dil. HNO3)
Curdly white precipitate – of silver chloride obtained.
- Action of heat on a mixture of manganes dioxide and cone. HCl Greenish yellow gas (chlorine).
State two industrial products manufactured from hydrochloric acid, which are also manufactured from nitric and sulphuric acid. Give two general uses of hydrochloric acid.
Industrial products manufactured from HCl acid are : Dyes, paints, drugs.
General uses of hydrochloric acid are :
- Hydrochloric acid dissolves the calcium phosphate present in bones.
- Hydrochloric acid dissolves the metallic oxides coating on the surface of metals. Thereby cleans the metallic surface.
–Try Also :–