Digestive System ICSE Class-6th Concise Selina Biology
Digestive System ICSE Class-6th Concise Selina Biology Solutions Chapter-4.We Provide Step by Step Answer of Objective, True False , Fill in the blanks , Match the following , Short/Long Answer Type of Exercise-4 Cell–The Structure and Functions . Visit official Website CISCE for detail information about ICSE Board Class-6.
Digestive System ICSE Class-6th Concise Selina Biology Solutions Chapter-4
Multiple Choice Question
1. Put a tick mark (✓) against the correct alternative in the following statements:
Multiple Choice Questions :
1. Put a tick (✓) against the most appropriate alternative in the following statements.
(1) The teeth which help in tearing the food are the:
(ii) Last molar tooth in human beings is called:
(a) Adult tooth
(b) Wisdom tooth
(c) Child tooth
(d) Elders tooth
(iii) The hardest substance in your body?
(iv) Saliva converts starch into:
(v) Proteins of the milk are converted into curd by the enzyme:
(vi) Bile juice ¡s produced by :
(d) Gall bladder
1. Write True or False in the following statements.
- Molars help in cutting and tearing food.
Correct — Molars help in finer crushing and grinding.
- Carbohydrates are digested into glucose.
- Proteins are digested into fatty acids.
Correct — Proteins is digested into amino acids.
2. Fill in the blanks. Chapter-4 Digestive System ICSE Class-6th
1 The teeth called are a total of four in number on the sides of ………..
The teeth called are a total of four in number on the sides of incisors.
2 The teeth called ……………are a total of four in number on the sides of incisors.
The teeth called canines are a total of four in number on the sides of incisors.
3 ………. is a common opening of food pipe and wind pipe.
Pharynx is a common opening of food pipe and wind pipe.
4 Molars are meant for ……….. the food.
Molars are meant for crushing the food.
5 Incisors are used for biting and cutting the food.
Incisors are used for …….. and ………… the food.
6 The ………. are used for tearing the food.
The canines are used for tearing the food.
7 The ………. and ………..are used for crushing and grinding the food.
The premolars and molars are used for crushing and grinding the food.
8 In an adult human, there are a total of …… teeth.
In an adult human, there are a total of 32 teeth.
9 The human teeth appear in two sets, the first set is called ………. which consists
of only……… teeth.
The human teeth appear in two sets, the first set is called primary which consists
of only twenty teeth.
3. Name the following Digestive System ICSE Class-6th
- End product of starch after digestion — glucose.
- The organ where protein digestion-begins — stomach.
- The organ into which the pancreatic juice and the bile juice are poured — small intestine.
- The enzyme which digests fat — lipases.
- The simplest form of carbohydrates — glucose. ‘
- The part of alimentary canal where water from undigested food is absorbed — large intestine.
- The end-product of proteins after digestion — amino acids.
4. Identify and name the four type of teeth shown below and give their functions.
A — incisor
Function -Its major function is biting and cutting of food.
B — canine
Function — Its major function is tearing of the food.
C — pre-molar
Function — Used for crushing and grinding of food.
D — molar
Function — Used for crushing and grinding of food.
5. State whether the following statements are True or False.
(i) Wisdom tooth appears at the age of 5-6 years when the child starts going to school.
(ii) The temporary set of teeth includes incisors, canines and premolars only.
(iii) The ducts from the salivary glands open into the duodenum.
(iv) Saliva changes starch into maltose.
(iv) True (V) Saliva changes starch into maltose.
6.Fill in the blanks in the table (1-5) by selecting the suitable names of substances from the list given below:
(steapsin, peptones, fatty acids, proteoses, protein).
(i) Name the juice secreted by the liver.
(ii) Name the organ where this juice is temporarily stored.
(iii) What is the main function of this juice ?
Ans. The main function of bile is digestion of fats.
Name the three enzymes found in pancreatic juice.
(i)….. (ii)….. (iii) ……
(i) Starch digesting — amylase
(ii) Protein digesting — trypsin
(iii) Fat – digesting — lipases
Name the three regions of the large intestine.
Given alongside is the diagram of the human alimentary canal.
(i) Name the parts 1-11 indicated by guidelines.
1. … 2. … 3. … 4. … 5. … 6. …
7. … 8. … 9. … 10. … 11 ….
(ii) State the function of the juice secreted by the part 1.
(iii) State the function of the three enzymes found in the juice secreted by part 3.
(i) 1 Stomach
3 — Pancreas
4 — Large intestine
5 — Small intestine
6 — Rectum
8 — Pancreatic duct
9— Gall Bladder
(ii) The gastric juice being acidic kills the germs and activates pepsin.
- amylase — digests starch
- trypsin — digests protein
- lipase — digests fat
Long Answer Questions
Define the term nutrition.
The process by which living beings receive the food and utilise it to grow and become healthy is called nutrition.
On the basis of nutrition, living beings can be classified into the following types:
Holozoits can be further classified into
What is the role of the liver and the pancreas respectively in the digestion of food ?
- Liver: It produces a green yellow fluid called the bile which emulsify fats making it easy to be digested. The bile also contains sodium bicarbonate which neutralises the acid of food coming from the stomach and makes it alkaline.
- Pancreas: It produces the digestive juice called the pancreatic juice which acts on carbohydrates, proteins and fats and convert them into simpler units called glucose, amino acids and fatty acdis respectively.
Name the digestive juice secreted by the stomach and give its function.
The digestive juice secreted by the stomach is the gastric juice.
The gastric juice contains
- — water
- — hydrochloric acid
- — enzyme
Which have the following roles :
- Hydrochloric acid serves to kill the germs and activates pepsin.
Pepsin converts proteins into peptones and proteoses.
- Enzyme rennin converts the milk caesin into curd.